Eating clean, feeling healthy and staying fit are all benefits good nutrition bring. Most of us know that eating properly is better and healthier for our bodies. But we do not always make that choice, many times we do not even know how to eat well and clean. Eating clean is about eating more of the healthiest options in each of the food groups—and eating less of the less than healthy options out there. To “eat clean” is to embrace whole foods like vegetables, fruits and whole grains, healthy proteins and fats, and to fully understand labeling and what it going into your body.
Here are some benefits of good nutrition (you may not have even realized!)
There are some unexpected benefits of good nutrition as well, that not so many people realize. Of course you will benefit by being more healthy and have a stronger immune system. But there are other things that eating the proper foods can also do that are beneficial to your health.
- Eating fruits and vegetables that are deep colors can prevent or reduce depression. These foods are rich in B vitamins that are a great defense in treating depression. They also have high Vitamin C content that enhances moods.
- Fruits and vegetables can help smokers trying to quit. These do not trigger a desire for nicotine and do not enhance the flavor of smoking. Also fruits and vegetables can increase satiety therefore reducing the craving to smoke.
- Certain fruits and vegetables can increase libido. This should be great motivation for eating cleaner and more nutritious. Fruits and vegetables also increase your energy and stamina which benefits your love life as well.
- Reduce inflammation and oxidative damage from running. Runners whom eat a cup of blueberries prior to a workout can boost performance and protect you from inflammation, as well as aid in recovery.
- Foods rich in Omega-3 have been found to have low levels of depression.
- According to a study by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, whole grains – especially the right ones – can help you reduce belly fat.
Other benefits of good nutrition are more personal, the relationship between food and your body is unique. This is why fad diets do not work for everyone. One person’s perfect diet could be another person’s poison. Once you begin to eat clean you can learn to listen to your body and make food choices according to what your body actually needs. This will create many unexpected benefits of good nutrition.