- BY Angela Litzinger
- POSTED IN Gluten-Free Food, Gluten-Free Recipes
- WITH 0 COMMENTS
- STANDARD POST TYPE
I love having others over for brunch. But what I love even more is having tasty dishes to share that I can make ahead of time. Asparagus Sausage Strata is the perfect make-ahead dish. A strata is simply an Italian-style quiche using bread cubes instead of pastry crust. I assemble the strata the evening before I will serve it. The next day, simply pop in the oven and bake before serving leaving you plenty of time to visit with your guests. Can’t get easier than that!
This strata is packed with plenty of Spring vegetables such as asparagus, leeks and mushrooms, however feel free to use your favorites. Try using sauted zucchini with ham and roasted red peppers and onions. Can’t do dairy? Simply swap out the milk for an unsweetened dairy free alternative and the cheese for your favorite diary free cheese replacement.
Spring Brunch Asparagus Sausage Strata Serves 8
- one loaf Three Bakers gluten free Max-Omega Bread, cut into 1 inch cubes 1 pound sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 ounces small portabella mushrooms, sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces grated gouda, about 2 1/2 cups or dairy free alternative
- 10 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups milk or unsweetened dairy free alternative
- Oil a 9” x 13” pan. Spread Three Bakers Max-Omega Bread cubes in pan. Spread cooked sausage crumbles over bread cubes. Set pan aside.
Heat half of the oil in a medium skillet. Cook leeks until tender. Set aside in a bowl.
Heat remaining oil in skillet. Add asparagus, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the spears are bright green and tender, about 3 minutes. Spread asparagus over sausage in baking pan. Add mushrooms to pan and cook until tender. Sprinkle mushrooms over asparagus. Sprinkle shredded cheese over vegetables. Top with leeks.
Whisk together eggs and milk. Pour over mixture in pan. Cover pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours to overnight.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Allow pan to sit on counter while oven is preheating. Bake strata until egg sets and the top browns, 40-50 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, cut into square pieces, and serve.