Pastrami Cuban sandwiches are not only tasty, but they are also an absolute crowd-pleasure, and they take no time at all to make!
My original plan was to make a nice, hot pastrami sandwich. All the other ingredients I wanted to add sound too much like a Cuban (pickle, mustard, and swiss cheese). An original Cuban is made with pork and ham though. I had some sweet sliced ham, which I added to the sandwiches. Wow, what a terrific choice combining the two ideas together. This combo choice is definitely a “Touch Down”.
Pull out your baking sheet pan, layer your ingredients between two slices of rye bread, bake….and done!
Yes, it is that simple. Serve with a side of coleslaw and watch those sandwiches quickly disappear.
Gluten Free Cuban
- 24 slices Three Bakers Rye Bread (approx. 1 1/2 loaves)
- mayo for spreading
- mustard for spreading
- 1 lb Swiss Cheese, (24 slices)
- 12 slices ham, one slice per sandwich
- 24 slices pastrami, two slices per sandwich
- 12 large slices pickle
- 12 red onion rings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place parchment paper on baking sheet.
- Spread approx. 1 tsp mayo on one side of each slice of bread. Place 12 slices on baking sheet, mayo side facing down. Spread approx. 1 tsp mustard on the top side of each slice.
- Layer remaining ingredients onto each slice of bread, starting with cheese and then ending with cheese. (ex: cheese, ham, pastrami, pickle, onion, cheese). Add additional mustard, if wanted.
- Add a slice of bread on top, mayo side facing up. Place a large baking sheet on top of sandwiches. Add weight to the top of the baking sheet, like a large cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 20-25 mins or until toasted. Slice and serve