What is a Sloppy Joe? After doing a little research I found out that this popular American creation has many different names, such as Sloppy Janes, Gulash, Slushburgers, and Wimpies. A Sloppy Joe also can be made with a variety of different ingredients. The one thing we can all say is, it is most famous for being “sloppy”, on a bun.
Sloppy Joes are known to have possibly been created by a cook named “Joe”, from Sioux City, Iowa. This loose meat sandwich has a combination of tomato sauce and spices added to it, making it popular among adults and children, of all ages. From school cafeterias to home kitchens, these sandwiches are hardy, easy and very inexpensive to make, and will feed a crowd.
You can use a variety of different meats if you did not want to use the traditional ground beef. You can also switch it up and use your favorite vegetable protein and turn them into meatless Sloppy Joes. For your convenience, you can also use store-bought canned product which includes most of the ingredients already.
My spin on the Sloppy Joe, is an Asian bbq tangy flavor, with a little bite. You can use your favorite bbq sauce and just saute the Asian ingredients into your meat. Top your sandwich with my simple slaw recipe, found below. Don’t buy that expensive slaw dressing, when you can make it at home. Be creative and have fun! You know what your family likes, so add it in.
Since there are many different names for this popular sandwich, I decided to give my new creation a name. She is now called “Sloppy Mama”.
What do you call them, in your area?
Gluten Free Sloppy Joes
Sloppy Joe Ingredients
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2 lbs ground beef (80/20)
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBS fresh ginger, minced
- 1 TBS lemongrass, ground (or 1 TBS fresh lemon zest)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 TBS brown sugar, or other substitute
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup bbq sauce
- 4 – 8 Three Bakers Hamburger Buns
1. Heat oil in large skillet over med/high heat.
2. Add ground beef. Saute until browned (approx 10 mins) Season with salt and pepper. Remove from skillet and put aside, leaving grease in skillet.
3. Saute peppers, onions, garlic, ginger, lemongrass and pepper flakes. Saute until veggies are soft. (approx. 10 mins). Add sugar and stir until sugar dissolves. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add beef back to skillet. Add bbq sauce and stir. Simmer for 15-20 mins. Add additional bbq sauce, if needed.
Cole Slaw Ingredients
- 16 ozs cabbage mix, shredded
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 TBS sugar, or other substitute
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 2 TBS cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1 TBS celery seed
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Add all ingredients (except cabbage) to medium size mixing bowl. Stir well.
2. Add cabbage to bowl. Toss cabbage to incorporate dressing. Cover and chill until ready to use.