The dog days of summer are definitely here. However, there is no need to let the heat wave keep you from enjoying some time outdoors. Especially when August is Family Fun Month!
Why not grab your favorite friends, find a shady spot, and dig into these delicious gluten-free ready meals for a cool picnic. Guaranteed to help you chill on those long summer days.
Gluten Free Ready Meals for Your Next Picnic
Gluten Free BLT with Avocado
Any picnic is better with a BLT, right? Use your leftover breakfast bacon, add lettuce, tomato and avocado and you have a delicious summer sandwich. Don’t want soggy bread? Package the veggies separately, then add them just before serving.
- Your favorite Three Bakers gluten free bread, such as 7 Ancient Grains or Rye Style
- 1 to pound of bacon, pork or turkey, cooked until crisp
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 avocados
- lettuce, such as romaine or a mix of greens gluten
- dairy free mayonnaise, to taste
- gluten free mustard, to taste
Slice tomatoes. Peel and slice avocados. Spread with mayo and mustard on bread as desired. Top one slice of bread with bacon, lettuce, tomato and avocado slices. Add second slice and enjoy!
Watermelon Salad with Mint, Feta and Blueberries
Watermelon is one of those foods that “speak summer.” Just saying the word makes you cool down. This watermelon salad is a fresh way to enjoy the cool deliciousness and is a great base for all the other flavors.
- 1 medium watermelon, cubed
- 1 – 4 oz package Feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Dash fine pink sea salt
- Dash of pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
Gently toss watermelon, mint, lime juice, feta cheese, blueberries, olive oil, salt, and black pepper together in a large bowl. Serve.
Hummus and Vegetables
Keep it simple on your picnic and pack some hummus and pre-sliced vegetables. Slice up some carrots and celery or grab a bag of snap peas and mini peppers. You can buy hummus at the store or whip together this easy recipe. Just combine all the recipes in a food processor.
- 1 can chilled garbanzo beans
- 2 tbsp of sesame tahini
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- Juice from one fresh lemon
- 1/3 cup of roasted red peppers
- 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp of basil
- Sea salt to taste
With colorful veggies, herbs and olive oil you can’t go wrong with this salad. Tip: add bacon for a flavor boost.
- 1 cup organic quinoa cooked per directions
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups of your choice of veggies such as organic baby spinach, bell peppers, onion, and tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of chilled garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 tbsp of fresh parsley chopped
- 4 strips of bacon (optional) cooked to your liking
- A handful or pecans toasted and salted
- 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp of golden balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp of pure maple syrup
Add all salad ingredients together and toss. Mix dressing in a blender then pour the dressing over the salad.
Easy Gluten Free S’mores
The concept of s’mores and eating outside go together like graham crackers and marshmallows. Make these grab and go s’more bars in advance and have they’ll be a delightful end of picnic treat!
- 1 package Honey Graham Snackers
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup gluten free flour
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- Pulse Graham Snackers in a food processor until fine crumbs.
- Add melted butter and brown sugar.
- Pulse to combine.
- Add gluten free flour, vanilla and egg.
- Pulse to combine.
- Spread in 8 x 8 square pan.
- Bake at 375 for 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over crust. Sprinkle marshmallows over crust.
- Bake for additional 5-7 minutes or until marshmallows are puffed and brown.
- Cool before cutting.
Now that you have a few tasty recipes to try all you need to do is find the perfect picnic spot and enjoy!