- BY Linda Bonwill
- POSTED IN Gluten-Free Recipes
- WITH 0 COMMENTS
- STANDARD POST TYPE
What is a Coney Island Hot Dog? A Coney Island Hot Dog is described as a snappy hot dog topped with chili and other ingredients, such as onions, cheddar cheese, and mustard. Many historians will say that it originated in Coney Island, New York. A Polish immigrant, Nathan Handwerker was encouraged to sell these hot dogs for a nickel on the streets, in 1916. Countless New Yorker’s flocked his stands including politicians, actors, sportsmen, truck drivers, laborers, and housewives. Soon the Coney Island Hot Dog made its way into the Michigan area.
Gluten-Free Hot Dog Recipe – The Classic Coney Island Hot Dog
Today, we enjoy this hot dog the same way. I created this delicious and simple gluten-free chili recipe that can be served, on your favorite hot dogs. I used Three Bakers Hot Dog buns, which was the perfect match. Grill, toast or slightly warm your bun in the oven, for an incredible Coney Island Hot Dog you can serve at your next picnic.
Coney Island Chili
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 TBS chili powder
- 1 TBS cumin
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1 TBS Worcestershire sauce (gluten-free)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 8 grilled hot dogs (grilled or boiled)
- 8 Three Bakers Hot Dog Buns
- In a skillet add 1 TBS cooking oil. Add beef, onions, and garlic. Saute until meat is brown (approx. 5-8 mins).
- Add chili, cumin, celery salt, Worcestershire, and tomato sauce. Stir and simmer 10 mins.