TIRAMISU [tiramiˈsu], “Pick me up” dessert. Take a bite of this gluten free version of a Tiramisu Pie made with a gluten free cookie crust. It is so light, creamy and decadent. This popular Italian dessert is traditionally made with layers of a vanilla custard of eggs and sugar, a whipped cream combined with mascarpone cheese, piled high with flavors of espresso, cocoa, and Marsala Wine or other liquor.
This dessert has a nice added touch of chocolate cookies, soaked in espresso and Marsala Wine between the layers, prepared in a chocolate cookie crust.
Tiramisu Gluten Free Cookie Crust Pie
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cups sugar, plus 1/2 cup
- 2/3 cups whipping cream, plus 1 1/2 cups
- 2 bags Three Bakers Chocolate Chocolate Chip Snackers
- 5 TBS butter, melted
- 3 (8) ozs mascarpone cheese, softened or cream cheese
- 1 1/2 TBS cocoa powder, plus extra to topping
- 1/4 cup strong expresso coffee, cooled
- 1/8 cup marsala wine
1. Whisk together yolks and sugar in medium/high size sauce pan on medium heat. Whisk in whipping cream a little at a time, stirring until boils. Let boil for 1-2 mins. Remove and slightly cool. Put aside
2. In food processor ground chocolate snackers really fine. Place in bowl and add butter and mix together well. Reserve 1 1/4 cups (put aside). Add remaining crumbs to 9 inch round pie plate. Spread evenly across bottom and half way up sides, pressing gently. Bake in a 350-degree pre-heated oven for 10 mins. Remove and cool.
3. In medium size bowl add 16 ozs mascarpone cheese to yolk mixture. Mix well on low speed with electric mixer. Divide in half. Add 1 1/2 TBS cocoa powder to 1/2 yolk/cheese mixture. Add chocolate filling to pie plate, spreading across bottom evenly.
4. Mix together coffee and marsala wine in small bowl. Add 1/4 cup coffee/wine mixture to reserved 1 1/4 cups of crumbs. Mix well, (crumbs will become clumpy).
5. Add 1/2 crumb mixture to top of chocolate filling in clumps across filling.
6. Add remaining cheese/yolk filling on top, spreading across evenly.
7. Add remaining crumb mixture to top of in clumps, across filling.
7. Add 1 1/2 cups cold whipping cream to a cold bowl. Add 1/4 cup sugar and 2 TBS coffee and wine mixture. With cold electric beaters beat cream and sugar, on high until stiff peaks form. Add 8 ozs mascarpone cheese. Combine well on low speed. Add to pie filling, spreading evenly across top of pie. Top with cocoa powder. Cover and refrigerate.
Optional: Reserve chocolate crumbs for topping
Chill for 6 hours or overnight.