The Cuban Pressed Sandwich – or the Cubano – was said to have been created in Cuba in the late 1800s. It was a simple sandwich for Cuban workers traveling in Key West and Miami but later became popular in the Ybor (Tampa, FL) area. The Sandwich is made with ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard.
The original sandwich also included salami but was later removed, probably due to the influence of Italian immigrants who lived side-by-side with Cubans and Spaniards in Ybor City. The sandwich is known to use a special Cuban bread which is pressed, to create a crispy exterior crust. The sandwich can be buttered and pressed in a pan with weights, or in a Panini press.
I decided to make my Cuban both ways. I did find that the heavier you press, the crispier the bread was. Using Three Bakers 7 Ancient Grains Bread was certainly a very good choice. The bread was perfectly toasted and tasted great with each bite.
Gluten-Free Pressed Cuban Sandwich
- 8 slices Three Bakers 7 Ancient Grains Bread
- 4 TBS mustard
- 2 cups Pre cooked Pork Butt, shredded (See recipe below)
- 1⁄2 lb swiss cheese, sliced (12 slices)
- 8 slices ham
- 2 whole dill pickles, sliced lengthwise
- Preheat Panini Press on high.
- Spread generous amount of mustard on each slice of bread. Top four slices of bread with swiss cheese. Top cheese with shredded pork, another slice of Swiss, two slices of ham, two slices of pickle, ending with another slice of swiss. Top sandwich with slice of bread.
- Add sandwiches to Panini Press. Close cover and toast, approx. 3 minutes or until toasted. Serve
Note: Pressed Sandwiches can also be cooked on stove top in large skillet. Butter outside of each slice before assembling. Toast in skillet then carefully flip to toast opposite side.
Makes 4 Sandwiches
To Cook Pork Butt:
Place pork in large oven-safe baking deep dish. Season with salt and pepper. Pour 2 cups mojo marinade over top of pork. (Can be found in grocery store aisle where dressings are). Cover and cook at 250 degrees for 8-10 hours. Can also be cooked in pressure cooker.