Panettone Bread is a sweet bread, usually made and eaten around December.
This bread was known, to be first made in Milan, Italy. It is domed shaped and filled with candied fruit, such as orange peel and raisins. Today, many different ingredients are added to this traditional bread, such as cherries, nuts and other fruits.
There is also a chocolate version, on the market. I researched this bread this month to see if I can find it gluten free. Much to my surprise, I did find it online at International Markets. The problem was…..well, I didn’t want to pay the price they were asking, for this bread. So, I decided to just come up with a special recipe.
What are you planning on putting on your table soon? Are you looking for a perfect breakfast or dessert to feed your family or guests? Look no further, I did all the work for you.
Gluten Free Panettone French Toast
I took some Three Bakers White Bread and made a traditional French Toast.
Then I took candied orange peel ( please, if you buy this ingredient, stock up because it is hard to find other times of the year), and raisins and cooked it in a simple syrup.
I have to say that I usually do not have a sweet tooth but OMGoodness, this syrup is amazing!
All the flavors are there. Tastes just like Panettone Bread.
The dollop of mascarpone cheese really balances the sweetness of the syrup.
So, go ahead and indulge. It doesn’t happen often.
Candied Syrup Ingredients:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup candied orange peel
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 TBS heavy cream
- In medium size sauce pan add water and sugar. Heat on med/high until sugar is dissolved, stiring.
- Add orange peel and raisins. Turn down heat and simmer until liquid is almost reduced down to half. Stir every 10 -15 mins.
- Add cinnamon stick and simmer for additional 10 mins.
- Add cream and stir. Serve over top of French Toast.
Garnish with dollop of mascarpone cheese and candied fruit.
French Toast Ingredients:
- 1 loaf Three Bakers White Bread
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 TBS butter, for griddle
- 8 ozs mascarpone cheese
Garnish: Candied Raspberries, blueberries and orange slices
French Toast Directions:
- In a medium size bowl beat together eggs, cream and salt.
- Heat griddle pan med/high heat. Melt butter on griddle. (If you are making french toast in separate batches, divide butter accordingly).
- Add each slice of bread into egg mixture. Flip and coat other side with egg mixture. Add coated bread to griddle. Cook for approx. 4 mins on each side or until it is golden brown, in color.