- BY Linda Bonwill
- POSTED IN Gluten-Free Recipes
- WITH 0 COMMENTS
- STANDARD POST TYPE
Thought I said Crab Cake, didn’t you? No…..Clam Cake!
Clams were readily available over the years, in New England. My Dad would buy bushels of them for family picnics in the yard. Many times he would have some left over and make clam cakes or stuff into shells and bake. This was very popular growing up and still is.
There are many varieties of clam cakes. You can make them like a croquette with mashed potatoes or like a fritter, deep fried.
One of my favorite ways to make clam cakes is with a bread stuffing. This recipe is so easy to make and hardly takes any time at all. You can also purchase reusable clamshells, stuff and bake them. They make great appetizers for party guests. Oh, and they freeze well, also.
I decided to make these into patties and serve as a main meal. They were very tasty. Serve them with your favorite sauce (tartar, remoulade or just a simple creamy dressing). I also like a tropical or citrus salsa served on top. It is very refreshing. If you like spicy, then spice it up!!!
New England Clam Cakes – This Month’s GF Recipe
- 2 TBS oil
- 2 TBS butter
- 1 cup onions, chopped fine
- 1 cup celery, chopped fine
- 1 cup red bell peppers, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6-8 slices MaxOmega Whole Grain Bread, cubed in small pieces
- 2-6.5 oz cans baby clams, drained. Reserve 1 cup juice
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped (or parsley)
- ¼ cup grated cheese
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- 1 TBS sweet paprika
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- In skillet, heat oil and butter on med/high heat. Add onions, celery and peppers. Saute until veggies are soft, approx. 12-15 mins. Add garlic, stir. Remove from heat and put aside.
- Add cubed bread to mixing bowl. Add all remaining ingredients, toss. Let sit for 5 mins, tossing occasionally to allow bread to soak up liquid.
- Add sauteed veggies to mixing bowl. Toss. Mold into patties
- Place in skillet with hot cooking oil. Cook for approx. 3-5 mins on each side, or until golden brown. Remove and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil. Serve with favorite sauce or salsa.