What is a Trifle? A Trifle is a dessert with layers of cream and fruit with a sponge cake or some other form of cake or cookie, such as a ladyfinger.
It was so much fun to create this exciting dessert. I was thinking, “how great it would be if I were to create a granola, but also incorporate tiny cubes of raisin bread”. This way, the bread could replace the cake, giving the trifle a nice tasty crunchy texture, when baked. Adding the oats and almonds gives this recipe a nutty chewing effect, which you would be expecting to find. The slightly sweet flavors of the honey and sweet and savory from the pungent taste and aroma of the cinnamon brings this dessert to a new level. Can you just taste it now?
Make this recipe ahead of time and chill. You will be pleasantly surprised how amazing it is! This recipe can also be assembled into individual dessert bowls. No time to make the custard? Simply substitute with layers of your favorite yogurt.
[GF Recipe] Custard & Fruit Granola Trifle
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2/3 cups whipping cream
- 2 (8) ozs mascarpone cheese
- 2 TBS marsala wine
1. In medium size saucepan mix together sugar, yolks and cream. Place on medium heat and stir continuously until starts to thicken (approx 5 mins). Remove from heat and add to separate bowl. Let cool for approx 15 mins.
2. Add the mascarpone cheese and Marsala Wine and stir until incorporated. Use electric mixer, if needed. Cover
Note: Custard may also be made in double boiler.
- 8 slices Three Bakers Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 6 TBS butter, melted
- 1/2 cup honey, I use local raw
- 1 TBS cinnamon
- 1 TBS vanilla
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds pinch salt
1. Make small stacks of bread. Slice into 1/4 inch slices. Turn bread and slice opposite direction, making 1/4 inch cubes. Place in bowl.
2. Add all other ingredients to bowl. Toss well making sure all bread and oats are coated.
3. Place on large baking sheet. Bake in pre-heated 350-degree oven for approx 13-15 mins. Bread should be slightly toasted. Remove and cool
Note: Do not cover while still warm, if making ahead of time. Let it dry out.
- 1 pint raspberries
- 4 ripe bananas
- 2 cups peaches, ripe
- 5 kiwi, ripe
- Or any other type of fresh fruit you enjoy!
To Layer Trifle
In large Trifle Bowl add approx 1/4 of the granola to bottom. Add 1/4 of the custard on top of granola. Add one variety of fruit across the custard. Repeat these directions for remaining ingredients.
Note: Recipe may also be made with your favorite yogurt.