- BY Linda Bonwill
- POSTED IN Gluten-Free Recipes
- WITH 0 COMMENTS
- STANDARD POST TYPE
A classic patty melt is a sandwich consisting of a hamburger patty between two slices of bread (traditionally using rye bread, though some regions use sourdough) and records show they have been around since the 1940’s. The hamburger patty is pan fried with butter, topped with caramelized onions and Swiss cheese, then grilled to melt the cheese, thoroughly. The patty melt is associated with diner food, and have been said to have inspired the tuna melt.
Typically, patty melt’s are served with lettuce, tomato, and pickles on the side, and not served with any condiments. I decided to put a little twist to this traditional patty melt. Since this is grilling season, I insisted on putting a nice char on them. I elevated the flavor of the ground beef with a hint of Worcestershire sauce. Then I added a slab of butter to the center of each patty before grilling, to keep the burgers moist. Remember, “Fat is also flavor”.
Even though other cheeses have been introduced over the years, I decided to stick with the traditional, Swiss. It was simply the best burger I have had in such a long time!
Classic Patty Melt – Gluten Free Recipe
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 4 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slabs butter
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced and sautéed
- 16 slices Swiss Cheese, or American
- 1 loaf Three Bakers Great Seed Bread
- Lettuce, tomato, and pickles, optional
1. In large mixing bowl add ground beef, Worcestershire. Season with salt and pepper to liking. Mix. Mold into 8 (1/4 lb) balls. Press center of each ball and place slab of butter. Fold over to completely cover. Mold into patties. Spray and preheat grill on high heat. Grill for 4 mins on each side, or until desired doneness.
2. Brush melted butter on both sides, of each slice of bread. Place on upper part of grill to toast. Approx. 2-3 mins on each side.
3. To assemble: Add cheese to toasted bread, top with patty, then with caramelized onions. Top with additional slice of cheese, then with second slice of toasted bread. Place back on grill, with cover closed (low heat) for an additional 2 mins, or until cheese is completely melted.
Makes 8 Patty Melts
Potato Salad (Prize Winning) (2012 WORLD FOOD CHAMPIONSHIP)
- 3 lbs red potatoes, cubed, cooked and drained
- 9 hard boiled eggs, diced (more or less to your liking)
- 1/4 cup red onion
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 TBS cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. In large pot of water cook potatoes until soft, not mushy, drain. Add to large mixing bowl.
2. Add diced eggs
3. Mix all ingredients for dressing, toss into potatoes and eggs. Toss
Season with salt and pepper, to taste