06 Mar 2017
- BY Linda Bonwill
- POSTED IN Gluten-Free Recipes
- WITH 0 COMMENTS
- STANDARD POST TYPE
THE SECRET IS OUT!!! Treat your family to these amazingly moist, Italian Meatballs. What is the key to a moist meatball? Lean meat will get tough during cooking. Prevent this from happening with two “secret” methods: adding eggs and ricotta cheese and adding soaked bread as a binder. The eggs and ricotta will keep them moist and the soaked bread will prevent meatballs from shrinking and becoming tough. (Shhh! Don’t tell anyone!) For an exciting addition, we used Three Baker’s Great Seed Bread for a little crunch. You’ll wish National Meatball Day (celebrated every March 9th) came around more often.
Get the recipe here!
Gluten Free Meatballs Recipe – Nutty Italian
- 8 slices of Three Baker’s Great Seed Bread (or other T.B. bread)
- 1/2 cup milk or water
- 2 pounds ground beef (lean)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese (whole milk)
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 3 TBS dry parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- oil for frying
1. In large bowl soak bread in milk until soft, squeeze bread in strainer to remove excess milk. Return bread to bowl.
2. Add beef, eggs, ricotta, garlic, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. With “clean” hands mix thoroughly. Do not over mix.
3. Roll into golf ball size balls.
4. Fill skillet with oil (approx. 1/2 inch). Heat on med/high heat. Add meatballs to heated oil leaving space between each meatball. Brown on all sides. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Season with salt. Repeat process for remaining meatballs, adding additional oil to skillet, if needed. Let cool.
6. Serve with favorite tomato sauce.
I was raised in and around an Italian family. All my life I cooked and everyone around me cooked. It was my life and still is. In 2013 I had to go gluten-free for health reasons. I was devastated to learn that I can no longer enjoy bread and pasta, that I was so used to eating every day. Can you imagine an Italian girl not eating bread or pasta? During the last few years, I have experimented with all kinds of different products. Searching for a good tasting bread has been a struggle because there was not much available. I was super excited to find Three Bakers Rye Style bread while visiting CT, my home State. I was even more excited to learn it is available locally here in FL. It is absolutely amazing!